Techie Secret #1 – Having “years of experience” doesn’t make a better technology expert:
- With the average life cycle of new technology being 6 to 12 months, experience doesn’t matter as much as the drive to learn new things.
- Someone with 2 to 3 years experience in the Information Technology (IT) field can surpass a professional with more than 20 years experience in terms of relevant knowledge and the ability to solve problems.
- A business owner can learn about the latest social media tools in a few months and out perform someone with a 4-year Computer Science AND Marketing degree.
- When looking for a technology professional, ask them to describe their innovations rather than just listing their skill sets or companies they’ve worked for.
Techie Secret #2 – Everyone is a “techie” (unless you’re Amish):
- A “techie” is someone who likes to learn and use technology.
- If you use a computer, tablet, email, cellphone, TV, printer, video camera, GPS, drive a car or even use a microwave…you are a “techie”. Some people are simply “techier” than others. The question is – to what degree are you a “techie”?
- There is no formal eductaion needed to be designated as a “techie”.
- Everyone has access to the same information “techies” use to learn about new technologies and find solutions to problems.
Techie Secret #3 – Technology is fun:
- What’s not fun about making money, saving money or having more time to do the things you want to do?
- If I taught you how to use a tablet, such as an iPad, to increase your sales conversion and process transactions that put money in your bank account, you might just think technology is LOTS of fun.
- Still don’t think technology is fun? When I purchased a GPS for my car and didn’t have to worry about getting lost or missing an appointment, I was so happy that I could have married the slightly robotic-sounding woman providing me turn-by-turn directions without scolding me or making me feel like I was a complete idiot.
By the way, if you absolutely hate technology, or simply want more time to run your business instead of managing your tech stuff, Change Leader Solutions has a “TechOps” service where we will manage all your technology from your website to your CRM for a monthly fee (no annual contracts). For more info, contact us.